22 March 2009

Neue Gallery

A few weeks ago, my friend and I went to the Neue Gallery, a neglected German/Austrian museum that is located just a few steps away from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was my first time seeing a work by Klimt in person:

Gustav Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer I, 1907,
oil, silver and gold on canvas.

It's about 3 feet tall and breathtaking. The brushstrokes are so thick that you can imagine the artist standing in front of the the canvas.

I discovered another artist by the name of
Egon Schiele. It's surprising how much work he produced within his short life span (334 oil paintings, 2,503 drawings). Take a look at one of his pieces that I found particularly good:


Egon Schiele, Self-Portrait with Arm Twisted Above Head
1910, watercolor and charcoal on paper.


A majority of his work is extremely lewd, and some of his portraits even make you wonder if he had incestuous relations with his younger sister, but it's his use of colors that evoke this sense of morbidity, which for some reason reminds me that I'm flawed.

3 comments:

  1. Damn. Considering all of these posts, you must not have gotten much studying done today.

    Good stuff, though. Writing more about art may be a good way for you to explore your love of art history. I mean, if you can't study it in school, at least you can write about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I deleted my personal blog so that I can contribute more to Rough Draught and start writing more in my actual journal. Plus, I was in some feverish daze all afternoon, and didn't really wake up until 7p, so you're right, I didn't get any studying done today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the spirit!

    ReplyDelete